Simon assists clients in four key areas: environmental services, building code defects, building pathology and building weathertightness.
He regularly works with PCBU’s to implement appropriate management controls to enable business continuity and to minimise disruption caused by asbestos containing materials (ACM’s).
As Technical Director of our Environmental Services team, Simon is also involved at a hands-on level: conducting asbestos management surveys, developing asbestos management plans including asbestos registers, conducting air monitoring, developing scopes of work, monitoring asbestos clearance work and issuing clearance certificates.
Simon is frequently engaged as an expert witness in legal claims for asbestos related disputes and defective building work, including weathertightness. He has appeared as an expert witness in claims in the High Court, District Court, Environment Court and Judicial Settlement Conferences, as well as working for property owners, developers, builders, territorial authorities and insurers in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal.
Simon has a particular interest and specialist skills in asbestos management, systemic problems that resulted in the leaky building crisis, building pathology, due diligence reporting, maintenance planning, dilapidation and condition surveying.
Prior to establishing Maynard Marks, Simon was employed as Team Leader of Building Inspections in a Territorial Authority. His role involved resolving complex building issues relating to Code Compliance, dangerous buildings and situations where building work breached the Building Act. This gave him an in-depth knowledge of Council systems and processes, the Building Act and the New Zealand Building Code.
As well as being a Licensed Asbestos Assessor and a Registered Building Surveyor, Simon is a Registered Craftsman Plumber and Roofer, having trained as a plumber and operated his own plumbing and roofing business.
- Licensed Asbestos Assessor
- P405 – Management of Asbestos in Buildings (BOHS)
- P402 – Building Surveys and Bulk Sampling for Asbestos (BOHS)
- IP404 – Air Monitoring, Clearance Inspections and Reoccupation following the Removal of Asbestos
- Registered Member of the New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors (NZIBS)
- Certified Weathertightness Surveyor (NZIBS)
- Weathertight Homes Resolutions Service (WHRS) Assessor
- Member of the Institute of Directors (IoD)
- Registered Craftsman Roofer and Plumber.